Applications Open: Wednesday 23rd November
Start Date: 4th September 2023
Applications Close: Friday 23rd December
We have an amazing opportunity – we are seeking Graduates to start their career with Aviva Investors on a 2-year programme that will enable them to gain a deep understanding of the Asset Management Industry. You will be aligned to one business area and enabled to work with colleagues on live projects that will have a real business impact and time to study for professional qualifications too.
What we offer?
We think this is a great place to learn, collaborate and get ahead. During the programme you’ll have opportunities to work on live business projects. You will also:
Throughout the programme we also offer continuous learning and development opportunities. By the end of the programme, we aim that you’ve developed a broad and transferable skillset and knowledge base, making you very employable and well placed to contribute to future success of Aviva Investors. A lot of your learning will come from ‘on desk’ experience but this will be supplemented by ‘off desk’ training, development and networking opportunities as well as the pursuit of professional qualifications. These include IMC, CFA or appropriate other qualifications. At the end of the programme, we will support you in finding a long-term position within the business.
Our people come from a wide range of backgrounds, allowing them to bring diversity of ideas and unique perspectives to our investment decision-making process. You do not need a specific degree to be an Aviva Investors Graduate.
We look for potential; if you have the following qualities, we would love to see your application:
- Curiosity; do you have an insatiable hunger to learn, discover and question the world?
- Innovation; do you think differently and do you enjoy crafting unique solutions?
- Initiative; are you a self-starter who isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo?
- Collaboration; do you love working with others and sharing your ideas?
- Communication; are you good at interacting with others, influencing them and conveying messages clearly?
- Data Driven; do you enjoy handling, manipulating and interpreting vast quantities of information and do you use data to help you make decisions?
We are a global asset manager with broad and deep expertise across all major asset classes. As part of the Aviva Group – the UK’s largest insurance company – we are uniquely positioned to combine our insurance heritage with our investment capabilities to deliver the outcomes that matter most to today’s investor.
Today’s investors are asking more questions than ever. They expect more from their asset managers. They want joined-up thinking fit for an interconnected world; integrated solutions with their needs firmly at the heart. We’re challenging ourselves to respond to these new expectations – as well as the changes taking place in our industry and the world around us.
What is Asset Management?
As an Asset Manager we pool together money from investors with a common investment goal. We then invest the money in different assets, aiming to grow the value of their money. For example, the money people pay into their pension scheme is pooled into a fund which we then invest to ensure that when each individual comes to retire, the value of the money they put in has grown enough for them to live on comfortably.
Why is it a rewarding career?
The fact that we are investing people’s futures is at the heart of everything we do. It is a great responsibility. With a career in Asset Management at Aviva Investors, you are helping to build financial security for people just like you, your family, and your friends; through working life and retirement, through the ups and downs of life, and always with a view to investing responsibly.
The Application Process
Stage one: The Application
You will be asked to preference which business area(s) you are interested in (see below for more details on these!), upload your CV and fill in a few basic questions such as your contact details – it’s that easy!
Stage two: Online Testing
You will be invited to complete 3 online tests crafted to assess your abilities. You will have 7 days to complete these and can be done at any time during those 7 days.
Stage three: Video Interview
Our Video Interview is a great chance for us to get to know more about you and your aspirations.
Stage four: Assessment Centre
This is our final stage. Making it to this stage means we believe you’ve got what we are after. You will be invited to our virtual assessment centre for a dynamic day during which we will assess your potential through a number of different assessments and also give you the opportunity to meet members of the business area you have applied to.
The graduate pathway at Aviva Investors provides opportunity and early responsibility - the perfect environment to acquire the knowledge and expertise to have a successful career in Investment Management.
Our Business Areas:
If you are successful, you will be working in a specific business area; either Real Assets, Global Client Solutions or Liquid Markets. During your application you will be asked to rank your prefernces in order, so to learn more about these business areas see below:
The Real Assets team offer investment opportunities in tangible assets such as buildings and facilities. We offer solutions targeting absolute returns and growth, cashflow and liability matching and multi-asset Real Assets. We leverage our Research view to target specific sectors and geographies that we believe offer the greatest risk-adjusted returns for our clients, and invest across real estate (equity, debt and long income), infrastructure (equity and debt) and private debt. ESG is integrated into our investment and active asset management processes, we act as responsible stewards of our client’s assets and are committed to achieving Net Zero by 2040.
Global Client Solutions
The Global Client Solutions (GCS) division is responsible for the distribution of our investment capabilities, as well as developing, growing and protecting our client relationships. Our clients are all investors – pension schemes, insurance companies and financial intermediaries, such as banks, plus their advisors and investment consultants. Working in GCS will provide you with an understanding of how Asset Managers bring their investment expertise to market, how we develop client relationships, and give you exposure to one of the most quickly evolving areas of the Asset Management industry.
By preferencing our ‘Liquid Markets’ you could see yourself in one of the following teams during your internship:
- Credit - The Credit team invest in bonds which are loans that are borrowed for a defined period of time. They act as lenders to companies across a range of markets. Credit is a broad and diverse asset class, meaning that many investments are evaluated from both a bottom up and a top-down perspective (examine various economic factors, that affect the overall market). Portfolio managers and analysts evaluate each opportunity based on macro-economic, fundamental, valuation and technical attributes in order to assess where price has deviated from fair value.
- Multi-asset & Macro -Our team takes a top-down approach to investing and follows the economics and politics across both developed and emerging economies. In doing so we hope to uncover long term investable trends such as an improving growth outlook for an economy which will impact central bank policy or asset prices across global financial markets. The team aims to look through short-term market noise to come up with a central economic scenario (our house view) and strategically allocate client assets in long term positions on that basis. In a constantly changing world this team strives to find a steady path which will provide the best return for our clients whilst also respecting their sustainability goals. Debating this path both internally as a team and collaboratively with the equity, fixed income and sustainable investment teams makes this area a diverse and stimulating place to work on a daily basis.
- Equities - Our team takes a bottom-up approach to investing, focusing on meeting and analysing companies around the world. Our aim is to build portfolios of companies best placed to thrive over the next few years, taking account of market trends, their competitive positioning, and management quality. We work very closely with the ESG team to ensure a comprehensive view of these companies' abilities and willingness to adopt best practice in areas such as governance, climate policies and impact on society. We have recently increased the focus of our equity business on our new Sustainable Outcomes range of global funds.
- Global Trading - Our team is responsible for trade execution across equity, fixed income and FX. Based in London, Chicago and Singapore, we operate a global model where we aim to optimise for local liquidity. Given the nature of the funds we manage and our insurance heritage, Aviva Investors are also active in trading complex OTC derivatives which makes for a challenging environment and a broad spectrum of activity. The Global Team is responsible for understanding the minutia of market structure, positioning and liquidity for each asset class and are charged with fulfilling our regulatory responsibility to deliver best execution. A role in Global Trading will give you an opportunity to work collaboratively with PMs, whilst also operating at the very forefront of financial markets, monitoring in real time how they react to news and events
- ESG - The ESG team oversees the integration of environmental, social and governance factors into the investment process across Aviva Investors’ full spectrum of liquid and illiquid assets. This includes proprietary quantitative scoring, bottom up ESG corporate research, top-down thematic research and impact analysis linked to the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals. The ESG team is also responsible for conducting stewardship activities for our clients’ investments; exercising proxy voting rights and engaging with investee companies to protect long-term shareholder value, as well as excluding investments depending on client ethical and ESG preferences. In addition, the team supports development of client tailored ESG solutions. There is a high degree of cohesion and cooperation between the ESG team and the rest of the business, with some members of the ESG team embedded in the asset class teams. The ESG team also advocates policy measures that aim to create more sustainable capital markets through market reform and sustainability-related campaigns. It shares expertise and best practice on sustainable finance through the ESG Academy.
- Investment Specialists - This team is the bridge between our clients, client facing teams and our investment capabilities. The team is responsible for defining and executing product strategy for Liquid Markets, developing product franchises that use the firm’s investment capability and that meet the current and future needs of our wide array of clients. This involves driving innovation through new product development, evolving the existing product portfolio, and creating compelling messaging based on our areas of advantage and to take our products to market. Working in this team gives you exposure to both our Liquid Markets investment professionals and the commercial opportunities with our clients.
Diversity and inclusion
More than 1,500 people work across the world, bringing it all together for today’s investor. True integrated advantage starts with our culture.
When everyone feels part of a unified team, in an environment of fairness, inclusion and positivity, we all achieve more. Integrated advantage is created when everyone feels stronger together - with no barriers to their ability to contribute, collaborate and succeed.
We don’t employ robots. We don’t want sheep. We value the independent thinkers, the curious, the disruptors. The positive people who set out to make a genuine, lasting, positive difference
Our 10 week Summer Internship offers you the chance to gain hands-on experience on live, value- add projects alongside colleagues in our front office.
Find out more
Investment 20/20 Trainees
We are proud to partner with Investment 20/20 to bring more diverse talent into the Investment Management Industry by offering 12 month Trainee Programme for School Leavers and Graduates.
Find out more