11th October 2021 – 14th November 2021
Internship dates: 20th June 2022 – 26th August 2022
Our 10-week summer internship offers penultimate year students the opportunity to gain a deeper understanding of the Asset Management Industry.
This is a paid internship, during which you will be working on live projects that are delivering against Aviva Investors strategic priorities.
Following successful completion of your internship there will be an opportunity to be considered for a Graduate programme role, starting in September 2023.
What we offer?
We think this is a great place to learn, collaborate and get ahead. During your internship you’ll have opportunities to work on live business projects. You will also:
- deepen your knowledge and understanding of the asset management industry and our different business areas with interactive workshops.
- learn from colleagues when you work together as well as at networking and social events
- participate in development sessions that will help you to build business and personal skills that will be useful in your future career (hopefully with us!)
Throughout your time with us you’ll have regular performance feedback, to help you be the best you can be. You will agree stretching goals with your manager to help you get the most out of your time with us.
This programme is designed for undergraduates who on completion of the internship, will still have their final year of study to complete.
If your application is successful, you will be aligned to a specific business area for the entire duration of the internship.
During your application you will be given the opportunity to preference the business areas that you would most like to work in. We are fortunate to receive a lot of applications for our programme so we encourage you to be as flexible as possible about any preferences that you indicate. To learn more about the business areas, please see below.
By preferencing our ‘Liquid Markets’ you could see yourself in one of the following teams during your internship:
- Credit - The Credit team invest in bonds which are loans that are borrowed for a defined period of time. They act as lenders to companies across a range of markets. Credit is a broad and diverse asset class, meaning that many investments are evaluated from both a bottom up and a top-down perspective (examine various economic factors, that affect the overall market). Portfolio managers and analysts evaluate each opportunity based on macro-economic, fundamental, valuation and technical attributes in order to assess where price has deviated from fair value.
- Multi-asset & Macro - Our team takes a top-down approach to investing and follows the economics and politics across both developed and emerging economies. In doing so we hope to uncover long term investable trends such as an improving growth outlook for an economy which will impact central bank policy or asset prices across global financial markets. The team aims to look through short-term market noise to come up with a central economic scenario (our house view) and strategically allocate client assets in long term positions on that basis. In a constantly changing world this team strives to find a steady path which will provide the best return for our clients whilst also respecting their sustainability goals. Debating this path both internally as a team and collaboratively with the equity, fixed income and sustainable investment teams makes this area a diverse and stimulating place to work on a daily basis.
- Equities - Our team takes a bottom-up approach to investing, focusing on meeting and analysing companies around the world. Our aim is to build portfolios of companies best placed to thrive over the next few years, taking account of market trends, their competitive positioning, and management quality. We work very closely with the ESG team to ensure a comprehensive view of these companies' abilities and willingness to adopt best practice in areas such as governance, climate policies and impact on society. We have recently increased the focus of our equity business on our new Sustainable Outcomes range of global funds.
- Global Trading - Our team is responsible for trade execution across equity, fixed income and FX. Based in London, Chicago and Singapore, we operate a global model where we aim to optimise for local liquidity. Given the nature of the funds we manage and our insurance heritage, Aviva Investors are also active in trading complex OTC derivatives which makes for a challenging environment and a broad spectrum of activity. The Global Team is responsible for understanding the minutia of market structure, positioning and liquidity for each asset class and are charged with fulfilling our regulatory responsibility to deliver best execution. A role in Global Trading will give you an opportunity to work collaboratively with PMs, whilst also operating at the very forefront of financial markets, monitoring in real time how they react to news and events.
- ESG - The ESG team oversees the integration of environmental, social and governance factors into the investment process across Aviva Investors’ full spectrum of liquid and illiquid assets. This includes proprietary quantitative scoring, bottom up ESG corporate research, top down thematic research and impact analysis linked to the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals. The ESG team is also responsible for conducting stewardship activities for our clients’ investments; exercising proxy voting rights and engaging with investee companies to protect long-term shareholder value, as well as excluding investments depending on client ethical and ESG preferences. In addition, the team supports development of client tailored ESG solutions. There is a high degree of cohesion and cooperation between the ESG team and the rest of the business, with some members of the ESG team embedded in the asset class teams. The ESG team also advocates policy measures that aim to create more sustainable capital markets through market reform and sustainability-related campaigns. It shares expertise and best practice on sustainable finance through the ESG Academy.
We offer investment solutions targeting absolute returns and growth, cashflow and liability matching and multi-asset Real Assets. We leverage our Research view to target specific sectors and geographies that we believe offer the greatest risk-adjusted returns for our clients, and invest across real estate (equity, debt and long income), infrastructure (equity and debt) and private debt. ESG is integrated into our investment and active asset management processes, we act as responsible stewards of our client’s assets and are committed to achieving Net Zero by 2040.
The Global Client Solutions (GCS) division is responsible for the distribution of our investment capabilities, as well as developing, growing and protecting our client relationships. Our clients are all investors – pension schemes, insurance companies and financial intermediaries, such as banks, plus their advisors and investment consultants. Working in GCS will provide you with an understanding of how Asset Managers bring their investment expertise to market, how we develop client relationships, and give you exposure to one of the most quickly evolving areas of the Asset Management industry.
Global Product is the bridge between our clients, client facing teams and our investment capabilities. The division is responsible for defining and executing the product strategy for the firm, developing product franchises that leverage the firm’s investment capabilities and that meet the current and future needs of our wide array of clients. This involves driving innovation through new product development, evolving the existing product portfolio, and creating compelling messaging based on our areas of advantage to take our products to market. Working in Global Product gives you exposure to the commercial centre of Aviva Investors.
Hear from our previous interns:
Coming from a non-finance background, this internship provided a great opportunity to really immerse myself in the industry. I was able to get broad ranging experience across asset classes while focusing in on projects that interested me. It gave me a stable and supportive work environment that really helped me learn, laying a strong foundation for my career.
We’re looking for graduates who want to bring their ideas and unique perspective to our investment decision making processes, and our client relationships. We want people who drive change and innovation, whilst staying focused on delivering their objectives.
Our people at Aviva Investors come from a wide range of backgrounds, bringing diversity of ideas and experiences. You don’t need a specific degree to be an Aviva Investors Summer Intern.
We look for potential; if you have the following strengths, we would love to see your application:
- Curiosity; do you have an insatiable hunger to learn, discover and question the world?
- Innovation; do you think differently and do you enjoy crafting unique solutions?
- Initiative; are you a self-starter who isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo?
- Collaboration; do you love working with others and sharing your ideas?
- Communication; are you good at interacting with others, influencing them and conveying messages clearly?
- Data Driven; do you enjoy handling, manipulating and interpreting vast quantities of information and do you use data to help you make decisions?
Stage one: The Application
Select the business area that is most aligned to your career aspirations, and then upload your CV. You’ll need to complete a few questions such as your contact details then your initial application is complete– it’s that easy!
Stage two: Online Testing
You’ll be invited to complete 3 online tests. There will be both cognitive and behavioural assessments. You can find more about these here. You will have 7 days to complete these and they can be done at any time during those 7 days.
Stage three: Video Interview
Our Video Interview is a great chance for us to get to know more about your aspirations, as well as your strengths and how these align to our values.
Stage four: Assessment Centre
This is our final stage. Making it to this stage means we think you’ve got what we are after. You will be invited to a virtual assessment centre, where you will meet with a number of leaders from across our business.
During the session you will take part in a group discussion, individual micro assessments and an interview.
Our aim is to create a relaxed environment where you feel able to show your best self, so there’s no need to feel daunted at the thought of attending an assessment centre with Aviva Investors.
The internship at Aviva not only matched but exceeded my expectations. I was able to consolidate my thoughts on my future career hopes as well as make meaningful connections with many people in the business. I would definitely recommend the programme to any aspiring interns hungry to learn and produce meaningful work.